Planet Vehicle Visits Nissan’s EV Battery Plant on Earth Day – VIDEO
Planet Vehicle visits the Nissan EV Battery Plant in Smyrna, TN on Earth Day. Nissan is the only original equipment manufacturer that make lithium-ion batteries for its vehicles.
Mark Swenson,Vice President of Production Engineering and Component Facilities for Nissan Americas and Jeff Deaton, EV Battery Plant Manager Nissan Americas give us a tour.
- Production is scalable up to 200,000 batteries annually depending on market demand.
- The Nissan Battery Plant is the largest Li-ion automotive battery plant in the U.S.
- Adding production of the Nissan LEAF and the battery resulted in the creation of more than 300 U.S. manufacturing jobs.
- The current footprint of the facility is 475,000 sq. feet.
- Combined, the construction of the battery plant and modification of the Smyrna manufacturing facility represent an investment of up to $1.7 billion when built to full capacity.
The 24kWh (kilowatt/hour) battery powers the Nissan LEAF for up to 84 miles* and is one of the safest in the industry with its flat and laminated structure.